Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The problem with insomnia...

So I don't know how many of you know this about me, but I (Ben) am an insomniac. And I don't mean that in the "I stay up 2 hours past my bedtime" kind of way. I seriously cannot fall asleep when I go to bed. In fact, some nights, I begin to feel tired, but when my head hits that pillow, my mind races with all kinds of things. Bills, school, the future, work, school, money, school, etc. I don't know, maybe I just worry too much.
Most nights find me awake until 3am or later. Then I crash and sleep hard for a couple of hours but then have to get back up again to face the world in cheerful fashion. Sometimes I get a nap in the middle of the day to offset the lack of what should be a long, restfull night of sleep. Other times, I'll go on 4-5 hours of sleep for about 4 days in a row and then I'll crash one night around 9pm and sleep until 10am the next day. It's a viscious cycle from which I would happily depart.
So the problem is that everynow and then, I get a lot of school assignments piled up that are all due about the same time. This means that for about a week, I get even less sleep than normal. I think that is going to happen this week. I have so much reading to do, 3 papers to write, Greek to translate, and that is only school. I still have all of my normal responsibilities as a husband and employee (the two are not related). It's only Tuesday and I am already longing for the weekend.
One of these days, I'm going to the doctor and I'm going to get pumped full of some good stuff that will make me sleep for a month.


That will be awesome.

No comments: